Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Melting Hearts... Molding Lives

Someone once said, "The same sun that melts the ice, hardens the clay."  Not sure what that might mean to you, but I'd like to share a few thoughts on what I believe it means to me.  Some view that statement as having both positive and negative meanings.   On the contrary, I believe that it's a perfect picture of grace.

Let me explain...

Worship time is AWESOME!
One of my favorite times of the week here at LCA is our chapel time.  It's so exciting to watch kids clap, sing, and smile as they worship Jesus!  They're not hindered by the cares and concerns of this world!  They're not worried about bills, economic struggles, peer pressure, etc.  They just simply come with hearts free to worship... and I must say... God is at work!  We are rejoicing that six students have given their hearts to Christ over the past few months, and from the change that I have personally seen in the lives of those students... it's real!  It's so exciting to see fire fall from heaven and melt cold hearts.

A few years ago, I had the privilege of driving the bus for a 6th grade field trip to a paint-and-play pottery place in Wilmington, NC.  I thought it would be fun to do something different for a change.  One thing that I noticed as I was painting my piece of pottery was that my piece was fragile and that the colors that I had chosen were bland... really dull and boring.  I asked the lady who was working with our group why the pieces on display were brilliant, hardened, and seemingly beautiful.  I mean, I chose similar colors, but my colors didn't look anything like what I saw on the pieces displayed.  The lady told me that once I was finished she'd explain.

  As I finished my last stroke, the lady explained to us that the work was still incomplete.  What did she mean?   We'd done all that we could do with what we had.  She further explained that the piece now had to be placed in the kiln for a period of time where the fire of the oven would harden the pottery and bring out the brilliance of the colors that were chosen.  It was then that I realized that the fire that melts a cold heart is the same fire that strengthens the heart and brings out the brilliance of the Master's design.  I guess that's what James meant when he wrote the passage that states when troubles come our way, that we should consider it an opportunity for us to experience joy, even great joy.  When our faith is tested, our endurance is given an opportunity to grow.  When our endurance is fully developed, we will be perfect and complete, needing nothing.  Could it be that our trials are from the paintbrush of God?  If this is true, then I must ask myself this question.  What are the trials that I get to experience in my life doing to me, and how am I responding to the furnace of God?  That's why it's important for me to remember that "the same sun that melts the ice, hardens the clay."  How about you?  How do you respond to the trials of life?  I'll leave you with this one simple thought...don't miss the blessings by focusing on the burdens.

No comments:

Post a Comment